Sunday 14 September 2008

Isn't she lovely?



I fitted the bonnet release cable, although leaving a safety release as gently but firmly suggested by Nev after he had to dismantle the whole thing last week when the temporary wire came adrift. Then I plumbed in the windscreen washer piping and tidied up various bits of wire, which included the rev counter lead from the Vapor speedo unit which I wrapped around No 3 plug lead - seems to work exactly as planned. Then I decided to bite the bullet and change the O rings on the fuel injectors in the hope of stopping the petrol leak from one cylinder. I nearly crashed and burned on one of them when one O ring that seats the injector in the cylinder was reluctant to come out. I think I damaged it a bit and it really refused to be removed, so I decided that the ones that seal the fuel rail from the injector would be changed and the other left. Once I had reassembled it all it seems to be OK. I left it to idle for 15 minutes while I had some coffee, then decided to try it out in the yard. There was a lot to clear up and cables to check, plus a seat that would not go back properly until I realised it was the wrong side. But after an hour or so I was satisfied, had checked the steering bolts and wheel nuts, checked the tyre pressures (19psi all round) and manoeuvred out of the workshop. The front wheels rubbed badly on the bonnet on full lock which I thought at first was simply the bonnet leading edge but it's not, it's the wheel arch liners and they will be tricky to reposition. However for the rest, it was great. The engine is really smooth now and responsive and the car just seems to want to launch itself at the road. I had seen that the discs were a bit rusty so I made a dozen or so emergency stops and so forth. The car seems to stop in a straight line and I JUST WANT TO GET MY SVA AND GO!
Things to do include several minor electrical glitches and missed things. The handbrake warning and ignition lights are on, albeit dimly, when the battery is connected. The rear indicators have stopped working, as has the number plate light. The headlights don't work on "dip" but do flash. I have no high intensity rear light switch. The crack to the drivers side of the cockpit (top of where the door would be) is needing urgent attention. The clutch pedal needs adjusting to be level with the other two pedals. But it's coming on!

No comments: