Saturday 4 October 2008

When I got to the car yesterday it was terrific to see the progress Nev had made redressing my wondrous wiring challenges - he had made up a new loom for each of the rear left and right lighting sets and fitted a switch to operate the rear fog light. Headlights work now as well! Plus, big bonus, he had identified a redundant outlet on the engine at the rear of the block, high up, which Mazda close off with a rubber cap. When removed, all the water fell out so by using a small length of hose and taking the temperature sensor itself out of the housing that Vapor supply he was able to fit the sensor to the water temp function on the digital speedo. Really really neat. There is also a fallback wire on the bonnet pull now.

My first task was to use the self adhesive Velcro I had bought to secure the ECU behind the dash - I may add a bit of foam too - as well as the strip of Velcro along the dash top to hold it in place but make it easily removable. Next was refitting the horn push. With age it had become a bit lazy so remained piercingly "on" when pressed in some segments. I tried WD40, packing it out, but Nev's suggestion of some small springs in the holes in the seat under the push worked. I used a bit of sealant to hold them in place while fitting the push itself. Next I had to remove the left side pod to fit the rounded end trim on the exhaust. All the fixing screws came out easily enough but the pod itself was reluctant. It was only after half an hour of wiggling that it came out without damage and I could see that a piece of adhesive tape, used in the body "fit" and left in place by none other than me, was holding pod to upper body. Once removed, it was simple and I cleaned up the chassis rails etc before drilling and fixing the trim with a self tapper after having put some copper ease on the pipe itself in case I have to remove the trim later. I also put copper ease on the screws etc that are vulnerable to water ingress when refitting the side pod.

To address the issue of the front wheels rubbing on the wheel arch liners we had agreed that jubilee clips to restrict the travel might do it. Here is a task that you want to delegate. I put the car up on axle stands and Nev explained how the rack is arranged. So I loosened off the boots, opened a jubilee clip and saw how to fit it. But I smashed my left wrist while at school and have little power in the grip so clamping the jubilee clip end into the screw track with my left hand while aiming a screw driver with my right, all in a position circus contortionists would balk at took ages. Ages, and I needed to get help from Nev. Then you do it all again on the other side! Note to self, if re-doing this remove rack first. And the wheels still rub on the inner arches but Nev and I could see a simple fix for this since the only item at the front of the arch is the headlight can and that is a waterproof plastic can that does not need protection.

I'm off the Asia for 10 days tomorrow but the windscreen fix and new tyres are things I could not risk so Nev will get his suppliers in in my absence. I wonder if I could get a pass for this afternoon after church?

No comments: