Sunday 5 October 2008

As Catherine had to go out I went back to the car this afternoon. First task was to fill the tank as it said empty on the gauge. But petrol made no difference and a couple of odd things were not working - the Vapor was not reading rpm or water temp, fuel gauge nothing and indicators making funny clicks and burps. I thought it was an earth but as I hunted about under the dash I found a black / red wire from the Sierra loom disconnected and with bare wires. I must have pulled something out but I would rather Nev had a look as he is rather more conversant electrically. The engine ran fine and the lights all work.

Then I took an executive decision, fired up the compressor and took the air hacksaw to the front section of the inner wings since the headlight cans are stone and water proof anyway and are the only thing there. Bingo, no more rubbing. Next I tried to fit the males for the loose cover press studs to the seats. But, or so I first thought, Cranbrook / Fisher struck again - the press studs are for fabric not 2mm fiberglass and so thought new ones are needed. However bumbling around when I got home a light went on - I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to put a screw or rivet through the hole in the male and mount them on the seat surface. If that's correct, apologies Cranbrook.

Finally I dismantled the steering mount and the airflow meter bracket and painted them with blackish Hammerite, then I took a tube of metal polish to the engine bay and cam covers etc, then finally reassembled everything. I think it looks really nice but I may be biased.

There is still a "to do" list. While I am away Neville is going to get windscreen fitment, tyres and harnesses arranged. He also has solutions for the interior - old carpet held in place with Velcro until the SVA after which I can decide on the final finish. Last night I ordered from ebay sellers mesh for the grille, MX5 gear knob (had thought we had one) and Mini windscreen wiper arms. Then from Car Builder Solutions gear lever and handbrake gaiters as well as sealant strip to go between body and bonnet. I forgot to add a stick on interior mirror to the CBS order so emailed them in the hope that they can add it. I'll need to find some sticky backed rubber or something to go on the pedals.

No comments: